Criminal Defense Attorneys in Bellefonte, PA
When you are charged with a crime, you need an attorney who can explain your options, protect your rights, and guide you to a successful outcome. Consulting with an experienced criminal defense attorney is the first step in this process.
You have the right to an attorney even before charges are brought against you. Often times, an experienced criminal defense attorney can contact the police and interview potential witnesses before charges are even filed. Attorney Justin P. Miller has the contacts and abilities necessary to help you get out ahead of any potential charges and, if you are eventually charged, to defend you in court.
- Assault and domestic violence: Assault offenses include harassment and simple assault, and aggravated assault. A special type of assault offense, domestic violence charges are treated severely by the police, the district attorneys and the courts. If you are charged with a domestic violence offense, you need to take it equally seriously.
- PFAs: You may find yourself subject to a civil action called a Protection From Abuse Order, known as a “PFA.” This order, while technically a civil matter, can restrict your liberty, your freedom to travel, and your right to possess or purchase firearms. Before you gamble with your freedom, you should talk to an experienced domestic violence defense attorney.
- Drug offenses: As an Assistant Public Defender, attorney Justin P. Miller has defended drug offenses ranging from possession of a small amount of marijuana for personal use all the way through possession with intent to deliver and delivery of heroin and other hard narcotics. He understands the complexity of defending drug offenses and will bring his fact and evidence-based approach to bear on the charges against you.
- DUI defense: Pennsylvania’s DUI law uses a progressive, recidivist, multitiered system to determine the criminal consequences of impaired driving. There are two factors that are taken into account: the level of alcohol in the defendant’s system (generally, BAC) and the number of prior convictions within the 10-year look-back period. The penalties range from a small fine all the way to several years in state prison. An aggressive defense may be the best investment you’ll ever make.
- Sexual assault: Among the most complex and difficult cases to defend are sexual assault accusations. Possible charges include rape, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse (IDSI), indecent assault, and aggravated indecent assault. In almost every case, it comes down to credibility: Will a jury believe you or your accuser? If you have been charged with a sexual offense, don’t wait until the police complete their investigation to talk to an experienced defense attorney.
- Theft and receiving stolen property: Theft by unlawful taking, theft by deception and retail theft are all possible charges. An experienced theft defense attorney can help you mount a vigorous defense. Attorney Justin P. Miller and the Law Office of Justin P. Miller have defended hundreds of theft offenses, ranging in value from an 89 cent juice drink up to over a quarter million dollars in cash.
- Juvenile offenses and student discipline: If you want your child to get help, the police and the courts are the LAST places you should turn! There are private alternatives, programs, counseling, and schools that can address your concerns without saddling your child with a lifelong brand as a criminal offender.
- Criminal conviction appeals: Was the jury incorrect? Did the prosecutor deliberately confuse and manipulate the jury with questionable evidence? Did your attorney make a mistake? Did the judge get the law wrong? If you have been convicted of a crime, don’t wait to contact attorney Justin P. Miller about your case. You only have 30 days from the date of sentencing to file your appeal or your rights may be lost — forever.
- Summary and traffic offenses: If you plead guilty to certain offenses, PennDOT will suspend your license. If you have a commercial driving license (CDL), you could be looking at an even longer suspension and the loss of your livelihood. Attorney Justin P. Miller has a proven record of reducing or eliminating the penalties for a variety of traffic offenses.
- Penn State student discipline: A few years ago, the public radio program This American Life profiled Penn State University and its ignominious distinction as the No. 1 party school in the country. Many of the activities among the student popultation, ranging from public urination to public drunkenness to vandalism and destruction of public property, all often lead to criminal charges being filed. The university may also penalize a student accused of wrongdoing on campus. A skilled defense attorney will address student discipline issues as well as the criminal case.
Once charges are filed, there are several options in resolving your case. Depending on the specific facts of your case, you can show that these facts won’t lead to a conviction, attack the evidence directly by challenging illegal searches or questioning, and negotiating with the Commonwealth to reduce the charges through a Plea Bargain. Ultimately, if all of these approaches prove fruitless, you can take your case to trial before a jury, where twelve of your peers are asked to vindicate you.
Whatever your situation, the Law Office of Justin P. Miller offers a focused, evidence-based approach to winning you the best outcome under the circumstances. Call 814-359-7268 or send an email inquiry to schedule a free consultation